Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The 24-hour news cycle

The 24-hour news cycle has perhaps created more harm than good. Two examples are the war and crime. Even going back to the Vietnam war, the reporters who were allowed to capture footage and send it back did more harm than good to the war effort. Our country went weak when they were allowed to see what happens during a war. The same thing is happening with our current war as well. Everything the US body count increases or another bomb is set off, it sends the moonbats on the left to the presses about how horrible things are over there. It makes me wonder what would have happened if we had the technology we do today during WWI, WWII, or Korea for that matter. Would the US called for us not to go into war when we lost 2000 soldiers in an exercise prior to our assault on Normandy? Or what about all the lives lost in the Pacific theatre during our march to Japan? I must qualify my opinion as my own and only based on my limited knowledge of both history and the current situation. I try to stay up on the current issues by reading/watching the news and reading blogs from both the left and the right.

The second example of the 24-hour news cycle is crime. While crime statistics continue to fall, the perception is that if you take your eyes off your child for 10 minutes, they'll be abducted. If you watch the news (if it bleeds, it leads) or the news magazines, you'd think that building a concrete bunker isn't a bad idea to keep all the bad guys away from your family. When I was a kid (God I sound old when I say that), I could be gone for hours running around with my friends and my parents didn't worry about me being abducted or killed by some psychopath. If you buy into the news cycle, you have to worry wherever you go. No one is safe and it's going to happen to you next. I just don't buy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree dude. I truly believe the masses aren't very smart overall. A lot of people limit their exposure to the world and become targets for the mass media. People believe what they hear and see of T.V. without putting in context or considering the source. It's also the lack of the bigger picture. Many folks don't look beyond a single argument or consider the impacts of things over the long term. The same people that are hiding in their homes want to take it easy on criminals and "mind our own business" with other nations.