Friday, November 04, 2005

Kids and backpacks

What the hell is with today's youth and their backpacks? On the way to work I saw some kid who's backpack was at least half his size. I don't understand what is going on in school? Is there a ton of homework everyday? Do schools not have lockers anymore? I just don't get why these kids are wearing gigantic backpacks. Not to mention what kind of stress the load is placing on their backs and what that will mean for their future. Just looking for some answers here people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to high school at about the same time and I remember the weight of my backpack was rediculous. I was about 120lbs those days and I was easily lifting 20% of my own weight. You are right too, it's getting worse. I drive by a high school every day when I go to work and see these gigantic packs.

The books themselves as huge. Some classes require more than one. You need all of them too, so it's not like college where you may only need certain books certain days. I read something with Jack Nicholson where he was griping about his kids backpack and it made me think about this very topic.

matt said...

Ha-ha, I read the same article from Entertainment Weekly. I was no A student, but I never had to haul that much home. Maybe if I did, I would have done better.